Wednesday, 30 October 2013

Make a bag swap

The latest swap I have been involved in was "make a purse [american name of bag] and fill it" I signed up hoping to be able to knit a bag - but putting both knitting and sewing (although VERY new at using machine) down to make it easier for the organiser to find me a partner - wouldn't you know it - I was matched with someone who did NOT want knitted - it had to be sewn, not only that but her favourite material was vintage (not my cup of tea at all) AND she wanted it to be a project bag which meant pockets, and lots of them!!

After spending a few days thinking ARGH how on earth am I going to do this and make her something she will like - I decided I just had to get on with it! I looked on the internet and found a McCalls pattern for a project bag with lots of pockets, ordered some fabric covered in pink flowers (anyone who KNOWS me knows how much that is just NOT my style - so I hope I chose good fabric!) and some polka dot (which was better - but still pink!) and lots of thread (I got through three whole spools!) Anyhow - about 10 hours of fabric cutting and 40 hours of sewing (also unpicking/resewing/ironing etc) later, lots of blood (from pricking my fingers), some sweat (through frustration) - and yes, even the odd tear - the pink project tote was FINALLY finished, and I have to say - for once - I am actually proud of something I have made! The recipient has not received it yet - so I am still very anxious as to whether she is going to like it - but I hope so, I really do!

Anyhow - without further ado, here are the pics :D

For every bit of fabric I cut - I had to cut either interfacing or fleece - some of it was iron on - then I ran out of iron on and could only get sew in - so most of the pieces have been sewn at least twice! There are 13 pockets all together - three on front and back, 1 on outside of sides 1 on inside of sides and then the gingham on the inside is 2 pockets on one side - and one big pocket on the other.

I also made a Doctor Who cross stitch to go on an iPad cover I had purchased for her - which was glued on and then painted over the glue with black Acrylic paint.

I knitted and lined a pouch for her to keep some crafting supplies in - she also likes the cute fabric like the lining,

Lastly I made her a fun little keyring from Hama beads :D

I have different projects to update on here - but this will do for tonight - hope you enjoy :D

No comments:

Post a Comment